16 February, 2011

The story of a horse who has wings

On Monday I made my first sale on Zibbet.com, an Australian-based venue for handmade items, vintage goods, and supplies. The sale was the one-off necklace Pegasus' Sunrise (I blogged about it in November 2010).
I was happy about the sale, naturally, but was touched when I read the message that the Australian buyer had left for me.

Hi there,
I am buying this pendant because my horse, "Bobbi", just died. I am deep in grief and missing him terribly. He was only 6 years old, which is very young for a horse. He was my first horse, and he died in my arms Friday night. There was a beautiful pink sunset that night, so this charm hits home with me. Thank you for this charm. When I saw it, I do not see Pegasus, I see Bobbi as an angel. He looks so happy now with his wings. If you don't mind, I'm wondering if you can call it "Bobbi" not Pegasus on your website. It will be my little tribute to him...since it's one of a kind? Thanks! I'll send you a picture of him if you want. Sorry if I sound weird. I'm just in that "frame" of mind at the moment. LOL!

-Mary Frances 


Having lost more dear animal friends than I care to count, I understood completely. I replied, asking Mary Frances to send me a picture of Bobbi. She E-mailed me the photographs and story below. She has graciously given me permission to share them on this blog. 

Hi Emma,

Thank you so much for allowing me to do a little tribute to Bobbi with the purchase of your necklace. Pictures of us and him are attached. I give you permission to use them on your blog. The first pic is of me and my son (Matty) feeding Bobbi some apples. He was so good with Matty...curious of him but forgiving and gentle.My son calls all brown horses "Bobbi". 


'Bobbi and Matty (21 Months Old)' (picture 1). Photograph courtesy of Mary Frances.  
The second picture is me riding him (he has his head lowered on the bit, and I'm saying "good boy Bobbi") [Edit: I have included this image further down in the E-mail]. The 3rd picture is just really captures us and his sweet expression.

'Sweet Bobbi' (picture 3). Photograph courtesy of Mary Frances.  

It is the strangest thing. I had been looking for 2 days on the internet for a winged horse pendant I could wear which reminded me of him (but in angel form). There were a few "typical" ones where the horse was more cartoon like and had a halo, but I was looking for something more "real". Something that when I looked at, actually brought me peace because it was more like what I really picture him as the now heavenly spirit he is...not the stereotypical "angel with halo".  I had been looking up horse necklaces and using the word "Pegasus" in google image searches. I thought, just for a bit of a whimsical experiment, in putting the name "horse with wings Bobbi" in my google image search, just to see what came up. Strangely your necklace and another I liked 2nd best (which I'm also getting), came up which reminded me of him most, and had that "real" angel look about it. It was weird how I had looked for two days, but as soon as I added "Bobbi" to the search, the pendant I had been seeking for two days came up straight away!

It came up on your blog, and I read all about the Pegasus description. When Bobbi died there was a pinkish sunset, and to me this necklace is him leaving his sick and frailed body, rising upward to heaven with beautiful wings reflecting the setting sun of his life...reborn again to his immortal soul to live on until we meet again. It just really struck a chord with me. I'm sorry, if I sound like a total weirdo. I'm in the grieving process, so may sound a bit whimsical! 

Here is our story...

I'm now 28 years old, and rode horse briefly as a child. Like many little girls, it was my dream to have my own horse. My family couldn't afford it back then, and I also got a little scared from a bad experience riding when I was younger. 

My husband and I had decided about 2 years ago we wanted to move to acreage, and so I thought I better get back into riding because you can't have acres without a horse! I've never completely let go of that childhood fantasy. After becoming a wife and new mother to my now 2 year old, I started taking riding lessons again roughly about a year ago. I was nowhere near even thinking about buying a horse as I felt and was totally inexperienced, and was simply not ready. Just talking to my instructor I was starting to prepare myself for the kind of horse to look for in a first horse for a novice rider when the time was right...at least 10 years in age, having had many riders on its back with loads of experience in different areas, and preferably a horse with more cool bloodlines (not your hot blooded horses like thoroughbreds) as they are more likely to be hot and spirited...not a good choice for a first horse and beginner rider. I was thinking I would be getting a Clydesdale or Shire cross with a stockhorse, something along those lines. Really we weren't even thinking about getting a horse until we found the property we wanted and had moved there. Currently we are still in the suburbs.

Around the time of my 10th or so lesson (August 2010), my instructor had bought a Thoroughbred gelding from a friend whom she was going to train up to be a school horse one day. He was an ex-race horse, and very young (only 6) and still quite green (inexperienced in training), however, he had an unusually quiet and sweet temperament. After putting me on a few mares, she had been telling me how I'd probably prefer geldings to mares because they were less "moody" as all females can be...haha. She let me ride him, and that was it. She was going to keep him as a school horse, but she ended up selling him to me at Christmas. Anyone who saw us together would have done the same.

'me and Bobbi' (picture 2). Photograph courtesy of Mary Frances.


He was extremely kind to all riders, but unusually responsive to me. Many of the experienced riders at the school had ridden him, and any vices he had were basically non existent with me. No one couldn't explain it. I slouched when I rode, my hands never kept still and had to be the most annoying possible on the bit, and yet, he (I should really say "we") "shined" together. No one could explain it. The experienced riders were doing all the professional tricks for getting him to put his head down on the bit, but all I would have to say was "good boy Bobbi", and he would lower he head onto the bit for me. He chose me. I learned that most riders search for years to find a bond with a horse that Bobbi and I had from the very beginning. It was creepy. I begged my husband to buy him for me, even though we'd have to pay weekly adgistment because we hadn't found our property yet). He suckered in and bought him for me as a Christmas present. About another week later we found our new acreage property. About another week after that, he suddenly came down with colic. He stayed the night at the vet, and actually pulled through despite what the vet thought was going to happen. He was a fighter. All my horsey friends and my instructor had told me to just try and get him through the night...often they fight through it and are fine the day after...then you never see colic again. They were right that night. He was fine for a month following the incident. 

This past Friday, however, colic struck again, this time fast and fierce. My instructor called me telling me he looked unwell and was getting the vet out. I jumped in the car, and about half way there the vet rings me saying, hurry up, he's in bad shape (as in...this is going to be "goodbye"). When I arrived his bowels were nearly ruptured, and his temperature was 36. She had pumped as much sedative as she could into him, and he was still colicing...this means death is certain. When I arrived, he was still standing, but on the other side of the paddock with his nose in the dirt. I walked in, said his name. He turned and walked towards me. He kept walking at me so much and was so wobbly that heartbreakingly I had to keep backing away from him because he was close to falling over. He just wanted to be touched, and he knew my voice. I had to make that awful decision, and he managed to stand still for awhile so I could give him a last cuddle goodbye. They gave him the euthanasia and he died in my arms. It was horrific.

My first horse...I had only known for 6 months, who was still a baby (only 6), and I had only owned for a month, who I had a connection with that most riders dream of in a lifetime...dead in my arms.

I'm having such a hard time letting go of Bobbi. I know he's in a better place, away from his pain. That is why this necklace struck a chord with me. He's so happy in that image, with his new wings...pain free and full of life and energy. He always bobbed his head like that too...another reason why it reminds me of him.

I have asked God that when it's my time to pass on, that he "first" send me Bobbi, so that I may canter faster into a forever with him and all the others I love who have passed before me. This necklace really sums it up for me, and I had to have it. I only had him for such a short time, but we loved for a lifetimes worth. He was my kindred spirit. Thank you for the existence of this necklace, as it will give me peace for many years to come.

Cheers,
Mary Frances
When I first made the 'Pegasus' Sunrise' necklace, I had no idea it would turn out to be so special. That something I have made might help to ease someone else's grief is wonderful. 
I am honoured to be part of Bobbi's and Mary Frances' story, and grateful that Mary Frances has allowed me to share it with you on this blog.
In honour of their relationship, and the life of a creature who brought so much joy and friendship to those around him, 'Pegasus' Sunrise' will now be called 'the Bobbi necklace'.

3 comments:

Melissa Lynn D said...

What a beautiful story! It is so heart-wrenching to lose a beloved horse. My Sugar has been gone 7 years as of Jan. 5, and the pain is still very real.

Rest in peace, Bobbi, enjoy your wings.

Anonymous said...

The Bobbi necklace is beautiful, it represents Bobbi's beautiful spirit so well. I had the pleasure of knowing Bobbi and seeing the bond he had with Mary Frances blossom. It was a unique bond in that it was immediate, he was her horse with out exception. God bless Bobbi for his wonderful heart, he will be forever loved and forever missed.
Roz

Unknown said...

aWWWWWWW.. I Welled Up.
What a lovely story

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...